Thursday, August 28, 2003

Updates...

Whaling:
A while ago I posted on how dismayed I was about resumption of Icelandic whaling. I recently came across an intersting posting by Kristiv who lives in Iceland. It gives a different perspective on the issue. I do understand that Minke whales are not endangered, yet it still bothers me because I have witnessed the grace and magesty of these animals. I understand that it is hypocritical for me to favor the life of one animal over another, but that's the way I feel.

Illegal Immigrants in RI:
Syrian - Sen. Lincoln Chafee (one of the few honorable politicians) has become involved in the case. He is trying to get a stay of the deportation order until the fall. By then the Syrian man's wife will receive her citizenship and be able to keep her husband in the country. Sen. Chafee, who is traveling to Jordan to participate in peace talks, will bring up the issue with Jordanian officials so that he can be sent there if he is deported, rather than being sent back to Syria where he could face retaliation.
Guatemalan - His stay has been extended until the end of September so that his lawyers can review his case.

No comments: