Sunday, January 21, 2007

The State of my Mind: Proof


I have mentioned my feeble-mindedness previously. You may have thought that is was just an excuse I was making for my perverse laziness. Today I offer you proof that I am indeed lacking in mental capacities - especially in the morning.

During our recent (and on-going) eating healthy episode, we have been eating a lot of grains, legumes, and seeds. I bought most of them in bulk at our local chain health food store. Among our lovely offerings, we have partaken of amaranth - which in it original form looks like this:


So this morning I proceeded to make some with some soy milk, apples, cinnamon, and walnuts. You really need to let it cook for about half an hour, but I was hungry so I served myself after about twenty minutes. As I ate my bowl while reading the paper, I noticed that it was rather crunchy...but I figured it was because I had not waited for it to cook fully.

Sometime later when Sara got up, I served her a bowl. She took a bite, looked at me with a perplexed look and asked, "Is this a bowl full of sesame seeds?"

Indeed it was.

Among the other grains, legumes, and seeds I purchased, there was sesame seeds. So I mistook the sesame seeds for the amaranth, cooked a pot of them, nicely seasoned mind you, and proceeded to eat a bowlful of them.

Sesame seeds don't digest very well. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to tomorrow morning.

But I do know now where the amaranth is should I care to have it for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: