Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Here I am on the eve of leaving again.

What a crazy week it has been. The interview in Southern Cal went well, but you can never predict the outcome of these things. We will just have to wait and see.

The interview process is exhausting and an exercise in repetition. In addition to teaching a class and giving a lecture, I met individually with about 12 people. And they all seem to ask you the same question. Around the sixth or seventh time around it is painful to remain enthusiastic about your reply. All the people seemed nice and genuinely interested in me and my research (and potential areas of teaching).

I did enjoy the warm sunny weather. It was strange to see all the hills and mountains draped in green - they are usually an earthly brown that I don't much care for. The mountains are all capped with snow and the smog was absent so that you could actually see them.

Speaking of weather, poor Sara was supposed to return to Boston on Sunday. After an overnight from Chile to Miami, she found herself stuck at the airport because of the blizzard in the Northeast. I booked a hotel room for her because I was pretty sure she would not make it out. She had to wait until this morning for a flight. I guess it was a blessing in disguise because she also did not have winter clothes since she had been in the summer of the Southern Hemisphere. The time in Miami gave her time to visit a mall and buy a coat. Something she will need this afternoon as she makes her way home from the airport in wind chills that are in the single digits.

All that snow awaits me for tomorrow evening. It is supposed to snow even more tonight and tomorrow. I might find myself standed in some random airport. I hope not.

Upon my return and after worrying about Sara, I needed to prepare for my class. I love teaching, but prep time doesn't excite me. Although without it, you can really bomb. So it has to be done. This week were are talking about place and space.

Here is a question for you: Is cyperspace a place? Why or why not? It is something we will get to in tomorrow's lecture.

I just looked out of my office window into a thick blanket of fog. I then thought about the sub-zero temperatures awaiting me in Boston along with piles and piles of snow. Southern Cal seems very attractive at this time...traffic and all.

No comments: