Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thoughts on Egypt


In looking at pictures of the events in Egypt, I am struck by the absence of anti-Americanism. Maybe they are there, but just haven't been captured on film. However, I find this unlikely as the burning of American flags and effigies are usually what the media likes to seize on.

I find the absence of the anti-American rhetoric fascinating because:

- The US is a powerful symbol to rail against in any protest, but especially in the middle east
- The US provides copious amounts of assistance to the Egyptian government that the people are intent on bringing down

The only image I saw that had any reference to the US was some protesters pointing out that a tear gas canister had "made in the USA" written on it.

I guess sometimes it is not all about us.

It uneases me that the future of the country (and perhaps the region) hinges on the wisdom of a leader who has clearly lost touch with the world around him. Hopefully he will recognize that he must move on and that a peaceful transition of power can be achieved.






I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

La Madre said...

i feel uninformed on the Egypt protests. Any good place to find background info? Like what helped incite the protests? What do people think about US financial support of the dictator? a timeline breakdown? what would you suggest?

Xolo said...

BBC and Al Jazeera have good coverage and some background information.

You might check Global Voices as well. I haven't had a chance to look there.