Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Kerry-Edwards

I think this is a good ticket. I mean, I was already going to vote for Kerry, but I hope this will bring more people to vote. The key to this election is getting those who sympathize with the Democrats to actually get out and vote and to sway a few of the independents.

The vehemence and speed with which the RNC has begun to attack Edwards I think is a good indication that they feel threatened by him and that he was, indeed, a good choice.

Deep in my heart, I wish Kerry had picked somebody novel, somebody different. A woman. A minority. A minority woman. A non-politician. A moderate Republican. An independent. My pragmatic side, however, knows that this is not the time for idealism. The country desperately needs new leadership, a new direction. It needs to make friends in the world, not more enemies. Kerry could not afford to pick someone to make a statement. He needed to pick a candidate so he will win. Maybe someday those two can be the same. We are not there yet, unfortunately.

On a lighter note, let me ask, don't Kerry and Edwards remind you of the old Batman and Robin from TV? Kerry is the serious, thoughtful and practical type and Edwards is the goofy side-kick. Keeping with that theme, what would that make Bush? The Joker? The joke has definitely been on us the past four years. Chenney...the Penguin? Rumsfeld must be the riddler with the way he answers questions with other questions, don't you think? Would Condi Rice be Catwoman or someone else? I can just imagine the debates: POW, BANG...CRASH.

Gosh, I hope this election brings about change...

-------------------

The trip to the mall with the students was more or less a success. We go to the beach (also for research purposes) tomorrow, but of course the weather forecast is calling for rain (whereas today was sunny and nice). We have to schedule these trips so far in advance, however, it just turns out to be a gamble. One that it is looking like I lost.

No comments: