Tuesday, February 27, 2007

East/Spanish Harlem


I am starting a new research project in East/Spanish Harlem (the name is a contentious issue - although soon it might be called Mexican Harlem or Harlemtitlán, but more on that at some other time).

I went down to walk through the neighborhood last Sunday and do some basic observations. I came across this interesting mural that is so rich in symbolism. I am hoping to find who painted it and try to figure out their intentions. That is one advantage of working in Mexican (and Latino) communities they tend to put their thoughts up on the wall in some form of creative expression - whether officially condoned or not.

I just wish I had more time to work on the project, but time is so stretched right now. I am really looking forward to Spring Break which is coming in two weeks.

No comments: