I am taking advantage of a rare snow day when the college was closed to stop by here.
I really needed this day off, but it comes on the day I have two classes that only meet once a week. That is a lot of material to try to make up.
My absence can be explained by the following factors:
- I am teaching four courses this semester. I have come to learn that my limit is probably three.
- I had to give a lecture to the college, which was a bit time consuming.
- I got news that my father, who as most of you know lives in Mexico, had a brain aneurysm. He got to the doctor quickly, had surgery, and seems to have pulled through.
- The news unleashed a flood of emotions stemming from the strange relationship (or one might say lack of relationship) with my father. This is much too complex to go into in a bullet point.
- Developing my urban anthropology course. It has been a trial and error process. For the most part I think it has gone well, but it is time consuming. Last Sunday I took about half the students into New York City.
- Learning how to use a Mac and some of the pitfalls of making the switch from a PC. Overall I am still quite pleased with my choice.
- Participating in college meetings, committee work, etc. Even though I am not on tenure track now, it is looking likely that I will be and I need to be active on this front.
- Trying to design a small research project here in New York City.
Maybe I will have carve out a little more time (and energy) to spend time interacting with these friends. It probably will be hard to do. I am thinking of you all, I really am.