Monday, May 17, 2004

I guess you can call it post-dissertation burnout.

I have found it extremely difficult to motivate myself to do anything. And there is so much that I need to do. Each day, however, I find slightly more enthusiasm.

Today I managed to clean a very, very gross bathroom (in our apartment, not just a random one in case you were wondering) and vacuum copious amounts of dust and dog fur from our carpets (just the living and dining rooms - the rest of the apartment has to wait). Then the motivation was gone.

I have stacks of exams and papers to grade. I need to get to them soon. My reasoning, however, is that it would not be fair to the students to grade them when I had absolutely no willingness to do it.

I will probably start making more frequent appearances here, at least for the next couple of weeks. At least that is something else I should do.

Random thoughts:

-John McCain was on Meet the Press. Although I disagree with many of his political positions, I respect the man. He is not an ideologue like most other politicians. I think it would be very good for this country if Kerry picked him as his running mate. This country is polarized and it is not good. We need a team that can bring it together. Will it happen? Probably not.

-People of the same gender can apply for marriage licenses today in Massachusetts. Good for them! A couple we are friends with (different genders) might join the merriment and get married as well. Congrats to all!

-What do you do if you live in a small city apartment, but you really want a fish pond? You go down to the sidewalk break a hole in it, dig it out, and build it right there. That is what some people who live a block away from us did. The pond is about two feet, by two feet, by two feet. It is right in the middle of the sidewalk - I kid you not. It is lined with rocks, it has a light for the night time, and there is even fish in it. I am surprised the neighborhood cats/skunks/other critters have not gotten them yet. It is a really bizarre sight. Sara actually took a picture of it. If you ask her nicely, maybe she will post it.

-We are finally taking a vacation! Next month, Sara, the dog, and I are going to Maine! A trip where we can get away from everything. Whoohoo!!!!

-I mailed in my signed contract today.

-I hate moving.

-Motivation to write more - gone.

No comments: