Monday, May 03, 2004

Yes, the cork popped.

No, we have not recovered. There too many things left to do.

We have to format this huge document in a very specific way to submit it to the university. Here is an example from the guidelines of the crap we need to deal with:

Page Numbers
Each page, including blank ones, must have a number. The number should not appear on the title page or the copyright page but, these pages are assigned numbers and are included in the pagination. Preliminary pages are numbered with lower case roman numerals, centered at the foot of the page, three-fourths of an inch from the bottom edge. The title page counts as page i but the number does not appear on the page. The remainder of the dissertation is numbered with Arabic numerals beginning with 1.

On pages with major headings (e.g., the first page of a chapter), the numbers should be centered at the bottom as on the preliminary pages. On all other pages, they should be placed flush with the margin at the top right corner of the page, three-fourths of an inch below the top edge.


So yes, I do have ruler on my desk and I have been measuring how far the page numbers are from the top/bottom of the page. There are ten pages of rules like this. And they need to be followed precisely or else you don't get to graduate. My appointment to submit is on the eleventh, which normally would give me some time, but other events will definitely keep me on my toes.

Other events:

My students have their final exam tomorrow. A few of them are in a panic. I will have a nice pile of exams to grade as of tomorrow afternoon.

On Wednesday I am off to Walla Walla, Washington for another interview. I have written my lecture, but it needs some more editing and I still need to practice it some more. I am not sure when I will be able to do that.

I am not looking forward to the ten hour and two plane change trip out there. It will be the first time I will set foot in Washington state, though. I also fly through Seattle, so I will be sure to pick up a cup of coffee there. I also fly through Chicago, but I think I will skip the sausages/meat. I will bring the exams to grade/keep me busy.

I need to start planning my summer school course.

Oh yeah, there is that trip to Mexico I mentioned a while back. More on that when I get a chance.

Ah, the life of a doctor ... [to be honest with you, nothing has changed].

No comments: