Friday, September 30, 2005

Stress

As if things were not stressful enough, someone tried to break into our apartment last Wednesday.

When I got home from work, I noticed that the hose on the side of our house was running. When I went to turn it off, I then noticed that the window above it was open and the screen was pushed up. A garden chair was placed over the shrub that was below it.

It hit me like a ton of bricks.

I ran around to the front and I went in the front door. The dogs were there and they were fine. That was when I let out my first sigh of relief. I looked around and everything seemed to be in place and nothing was missing. The stuff above the sink was also all in place. Second sigh of relief.

I inspected the screen and found two small slits just above the bottom. This is where the would-be home invader put his/her fingers through to move the slots to push the screen up.

My guess is that the dogs ran into the kitchen barking and scared the bastard away.

Good dogs!

Zeus can sound and look pretty viscious when he wants to. He has one scary snarl (actually he has more than one).

My feelings quickly turned from relief to anger. We have been robbed before and it just feels crappy. I don't care about things as much as it pisses me off that someone invaded our space.

I called Sara and told her about it. She was scared and creeped out by the incident. It did not help that I was supposed to fly to DC the next day.

Needless to say, I am still in Boston. I cancelled my trip. I sent the organizers the text I was going to present and someone there is going to read it for me. I felt bad, but I was not about to leave Sara here on her own. I know that the likelihood of something else happening is low. However, that feeling of vulnerability and violation takes a while to lift and until it does or at least begins to, I am going to stick around.

The extra time has given me a little time to unwind a bit and catch up with a few things that had been simmering on the back burner for a while.

There are so many thoughts running through my head right now - I do need some time to sort them out and I need to do it before they drive me nuts (or more nuts, as the case may be).

No comments: