Sunday, January 28, 2007

Humps are a Bustin'


This semester is really sapping all the energy I have. I am teaching four courses this time around. My first job in Washington state was one course per semester. As was my first semester teaching in Boston. Then I moved up to two. Last semester I taught three.

Four is just too many. I barely have time to think of the next one that is coming up, much less think about becoming involved with the college, my own research, writing, publishing, etc. There was talk that I might only have to teach three each semester next year, but that fell through. It will four and three.

What makes it worse is that should this job become tenure-track (and should I get it), my tenure clock has already started. Now it is not too hard to get tenure at school where I am at, but it is still hard to get anything done that will help make that transition easier. Should I want to try to move somewhere else, it is hard to keep productive research agenda that would make me a possible candidate somewhere else. And last, but not least, I am just not as good as a teacher when I am spread so thin. I start passing on activities, projects, ideas that I would like to do just because I don't have the time and/or energy to plan and prepare them.

Oh well, nothing is going to change. I am just tired and cranky and needed to vent.

No comments: