Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Friendly Reminder

As I toil away grading papers (and complain much too much along the way), it is nice to hear back from students who put it all into perspective.

I got this email today:
Dear Professor X,

I hope you remember me from our Immigration Seminar last Spring. I have been thinking about what a positive experience I had in your class and meaning to get in touch for a while.

Since August, I have been working as an AmeriCorps member in the legal department at [non-profit agency]. I've learned a ton about immigration law and am hoping to eventually go to law school and start a career in this field. I am especially
interested in asylum cases for which speaking French has come in handy as many of our asylum seekers come from Francophone Africa and Haiti. Next on my agenda is learning Spanish although my AmeriCorps salary makes courses pretty tough to afford!

I wanted to let you know what I was up to because it is partly thanks to your course that I decided to pursue my interest in immigration and for that I am hugely grateful!

I hope that all is well with you.

Best wishes,

[Former Student]

I will smile for a while and then get back to my grading (and complaining).

No comments: