Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Busy, busy, busy...

Yesterday: met with my advisor who gave me back my last chapter (said it was fine), did much scanning of images I discuss in the dissertation (many of them racist - from the Fascist period and from today), went to my monthly seminar on teaching (learned about using multi-media as pedagogic tool), took out all the trash, made corrections on that last chapter, and formatted the images I scanned.

Today: Lecture, TA meeting with professor, errands, drive up to Boston, reading.

Details:
After seven chapters there is an issue my advisor and I disagree on - it is not a big one, but disagreement nonetheless. I have to remember that I need to please him. He is the one who decides what goes in the dissertation. I can change it when I work on the book. I also seem to have annoyed him tremendously with a mistake a keep making with my grammar. Generally I write well, but I have some problems inserting commas where they do not belong and missing them where they do (this dirves Sara nuts). My advisor doesn't mind this as much. What irritated him was my using "that" where I should use "who". Example - the students that (who) study hard. Of course I do it in sentences that are more complex than that, but you get the idea. I think the problem stems that I construct such grammatical constructions in my
head, I do so in Spanish where there isn't such a differentiation. Or I am translating from Italian where the differentiation also does not exist. I have also discovered that British English writers tend to make that mistake as well. Since I went to a British school through 9th grade, that may account for it as well. In any case, I need to be more careful about that. I can't afford to irritate my advisor. Not this late in the game.
I find it amazing how the images of foreigners in Italy have changed very little beween the 1930s and today.

There is a fine line between using multimedia to teach and teaching so you can play with multimedia. I am not sure where that is.

I am signing up for Tai Chi and Yoga through the university's PE program. It will be good for me - physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Sara is still not feeling well and she has a make-up class in Boston late this evening. The class ends too late for her to take train/bus back, but she is also not well enough to drive back to Providence late. So I told her I would drive up with her. I will use the time when she is in her seminar to catch up on some reading and work on some applications.

By the way - the score is Personal Messages 2, Spam 0.

I am off to prepare for the busy day.

No comments: