Sunday, February 15, 2004

Randomness

I am feeling puffy today. Yes, I could stand to lose about ten pounds and get this body back into shape.

It is hard.

It is hard to go outside when it is cold again. At least I am walking to campus for the lectures and my sections. The dog also gets his daily walk. When it gets warmer, those walks will get longer.

And I need to eat less and healthier. But those sweets, I just can't resist. I seached high and low for some good chocolate cake...I had been craving it ever since writing it in Icelandic. Found some here. They have the best desserts in town. A place I need to stay far away from.

Enough complaining.

I have been exploring the various internet radio station that are preset on the iTunes player. There are several good ones.

A song came up that never ceases to make me smile: Day-O by Harry Belafonte. There are just certain songs like that: perfect for warming you up on a cold winter's day.

Peppermint tea is sitting here by my keyboard keeping me company.

Just like there are many things that I should be getting done, there are many things I could write about here. I don't seem to have the will for either. My guess is that I am still recovering from that flurry of words that traveled from my somewhere in my mind through my fingers onto the screen and eventually were transposed on to pieces of paper. Random thought: would that not be an interesting musical composition? The writing process - an idea is born, it is developed in the mind, it is discussed, researched, then it goes through the mechanical steps of being transformed from something abstract and fluid into something concrete and permanent. The tranformation uses the human body as a vehicle and the idea becomes a fixed and permanent entity that are found on the words printed on the page. If there is a composer that has done this, I am not aware of it.

The uncertainty of the future is troubling.

I got Korean take-out the other day. While I was waiting for my order, I picked up a Korean newspaper they had on the counter and began to look through it. I have always been fascinated by magazines and newspapers printed in other writing systems. What are squigles and characters to me have meaning to others. It gives you a sense of what it is like to be illiterate. But would I be thinking the same thoughts if I were illiterate? Probably not. The food was very good, by the way.

That's all for now.

No comments: