Thursday, February 12, 2004

Real World Disorientation
I am still adjusting to my return to *real life*. It is something akin to coming out of a movie theater into daylight after watching an intense film. I feel startled, disoriented, and drained. I am starting to get my bearings just like your eyes adjust to the brightness of the day. But it takes time.

I am using my PDA again, which means that I need to remember that I need to be at certain places at certain times. There once is life for me outside of my home office. Nonetheless, I got to an appointment late yesterday because I thought it was at 2, when in reality it was at 1:30. Still adjusting.

Poor Sara is sick, and I think my body is fighting off the bug. Honestly, I did expect to get sick once I turned in my draft. The equation goes something like this: low immunity (from mental exhaustion) + abundant pathogens (from returning students from all over the country) + opportunity for contagion (from venturing outside of the confines of home) = sickness. I am doing my best to ward off the bugs: teas, vitamins, fruit, juices, zinc, sleep, and healing dances and songs (although Sara objects to these - I don't blame her, I am a terrible dancer/singer).

I need to get ready for lecture and then I have my first discussion section. No big plans for today...just get to know the students and let them get to know me.

No comments: