Saturday, June 17, 2006

Italians Play Dirty

Italians Play Dirty

I learned this playing pickup futbol games in the parks of Bologna. Italians like to play dirty. It is reinforced every time I watch Italy play, especially against teams they expect to be beat (which is most).

Today's game against the US was no exception. Here is what happened:

US player gets whacked (sorry, I just realized that could be an offensive pun to Italo-Americans, it wasn't intended so I will leave it) in the face by an Italian player's elbow.


The Italian player pretends that he did not do anything and tries to argue his innocence. He gets his teamates to help him by mobbing the ref (oops, another pun).


The evidence against him, however, was to blatant for the refree to ignore.


The red card came out and the Italian player was ejected. The ref compensated and helped the Italians by later ejecting TWO US players. Nevertheless, the US tied Italy notwithstanding biased refs and dirty play.

I am sure in Italy right now everyone is complaining about how they were robbed of a victory, about how the US is an inferior team, and who might be to blame for Italy not winning the game.

On a brighter note, I did enjoy watching the Portugal-Iran game earlier in the day. I will miss the Brazil game tomorrow because I need to take the dogs somewhere. Our landlords are having an open house and even though they are not showing our apartment, they are worried that Zeus' barking at comers and goers will scare away potential buyers. I am not sure what we will do, but even though it won't be watching Brazil play a gutsy Australian team, I am sure it will be fun.

No comments: