Thursday, June 29, 2006

Quick Notes
  • No news from Sara today. I know her father was going to be in the ICU for a couple of days, so there probably isn't much to tell. I am hoping that no news is good news in this case.
  • Sara is probably still recovering from the stress of sitting in a waiting room for over fourteen hours. I could sense the toll it was taking on her each time we spoke on the phone.
  • Amidst all this I need to deal with some petty administrator in the summer program I am teaching at who is giving me a lot of grief over a relatively minor issue. It has really pissed me off (I generally don't use that word, so when I do - look out). Moreover she has been quite nasty about it, calling me negligent. I take my work seriously and I value what I do. Being called negligent is not something I take lightly. Nonetheless, I have remained polite and diplomatic, and have even apologized for any miscommunication. I don't know if that will be enough, it seems like this person is on a major power trip. Fortunately I have a fairly outspoken faculty member in the anthropology department on my side and as of day-after-tomorrow my former advisor will be the Provost of the University (who with a wave of his hand could have this person's ass). Yes, I do have friends in high places if it ultimately comes to that.
  • This has been one hell of a week. I need a day to just crawl into a hole and hide. Of course, if I did the dogs would track me down and dig me out. They are good dogs. They would want to rescue me. Actually they have sensed my stress, anxiety, and irritation and they have been incredibly supportive - in their unique doggy way.
  • I think tomorrow evening me and the big bottle of Chimay that is currently chilling in the fridge are going to get well acquainted.
  • Ughh - that's all I have to say for now.

No comments: