Friday, December 26, 2003

Happy Boxing Day

For the holidays I made Sara a cake from a recipe I found on Michelle's site: Gingerbread with Poached Pears [thanks, Michelle]. I knew Sara would like it because she loves ginger and she loved having poached pears when we were in Rome. I just was not sure if I could pull it off. First I had to get all the ingredients. I went a few days before Christmas to avoid the chaos. It was still crazy and I had to battle frenzied crowds to buy my share of groceries. Then on Christmas Eve, I realized I did not have a loaf pan. So back to the store I ventured to get one.

The actual baking and cooking went well and was quite enjoyable (of course it was also an effective procrastination method to keep me from my dissertation).

I think it turned out well, except for the fact that not all the pears fit on top of the bread. Close enough and now we have some extra poached pears. Sara took some pictures so you can have a look:



and



There was some leftover, so if you are nice to Sara she might share [by the way, you can head over to Corn Smut and sneak a peek at her mid-hiatus mini-post].

Hope you all are having a nice holiday, have eaten well, and are having fun. Happy final days of Hanukkah!!! The menorah will be bright tonight and the days are getting longer. YAY!!!

No comments: