Friday, December 05, 2003

Lethargy and Snow

I know I have promised to write about the word above my blog. But I don't have the enthusiasm that it deserves so I will put it off yet again.

Today was one of those days that held so much promise for productivity and it has turned out to be an utter disappointment. And tonight is one of those evenings you feel like going somewhere and doing something. Anywhere and anything. Just out. Change of scenery. But I can't. It's snowing and the streets are treacherous.

The snow is actually coming down pretty quickly. This storm actually panned out. Not like the usual drill. Big fuss and no snow.

I like the snow.

It's so peaceful.

I took the dog out [he needed to do his business - but I will respect his privacy and not reveal any other details] and gazed in awe at the scene. The silence is amazing when it snows. Briefly interrupted by the occasional passing car that slips and slides through the neighborhood. It was too cold to stay out for too long (and I was in my PJs).

I did not see snow until I was five. It never snows in Mexico City. It did once, actually. In 1968. That occasion is legendary. Everyone that was there remembers it.

The first time I saw snow was during a summer trip to Oregon. We drove up Mt. Hood where there was still some snow left. I was in heaven. I loved it. Ever since I have been fascinated by snow, and even more by falling snow.

In Mexico percipitation is always dramatic. Pouring rain, lightning, thunder, gusts, and so forth. Snow is the opposite. It's gentle, quiet. I like that. Although I like dramatic storms as well. Both fascinate me for different reasons. What I don't like is drizzle, especially weeks on end.

Ah, the wind is howling through my window. It is nice being warm and listening to the wind. Comforting.

Side note: the howling wind is a nice added effect to the song "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes that is currently playing from my computer. Maybe you don't care, but I just thought I would share.

I still would like to go somewhere. Oh well.

A long walk through the fresh snow is in store for tomorrow. Followed by a nice cup of hot cocoa made with chocolate from Oaxaca. Mmmm.

Had some tonight. It was very good.

Time to bring these random thoughts borne out of lethargy to an end.

Good night and may you all be cozy and warm.

No comments: