Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Quick Wishes

I have just under an hour to wish you all a Happy Fourth Day of Hanukkah! And while I am at it, let me wish you a Happy Fifth Day of Hanukkah! One nice thing about having Hanukkah last beyong the solstice is that you witness how the days stop getting shorter and they start getting longer. This is because you light the menorah at sunset, and sunset will be a minute later today than it was yesterday. Yay!

[Since some of you have been asking, no I am not Jewish. Two of Sara's grandparents were and the traditions are important to her, so that is why we learn about them and celebrate them. If I were to label my religious beliefs, I would say that I am a Unitarian and thus embrace the commonalities shared by most religions. I also have constructed my own theology and spirituality, and as such am interested in the spirit behind many religious festivities. Thus to me, Hanukkah represents the freedom to Choose a religious belief and the light of hope and promise that shines through this the darkest time of year (in the Northern Hemisphere, of course). Likewise, Christmas is rebirth and hope. The solstice is a reminder of the balance that occurs in nature. These are all simplifications, but they are small examples to illustrate how I approach these days.]

No comments: