Sunday, December 07, 2003

Winter Activities

What do you do after 18 inches (about 45 cm) of snow falls? You shovel and shovel and shovel.

There was so much snow to move. We need to go somewhere early tomorrow, so I needed to make sure we could get the car out. It was buried deep. Not only was it all the snow, but the wind blew some drifts that were about three feet (one meter) high around the car. Right off the street, the plows left an equally high pile of snow at the bottom of the driveway. That snow is the worst, because having been plowed, it is thick and dense.

At first I did not mind the shoveling. After being stuck inside for almost three days, it was nice being outside. It was cold and windy. And for most of the time, the snow was still falling. Not as heavy as yesterday, though.

Another nice thing about snow, it brings people out. People were all digging themselves out and there is something about snow that makes people more gregarious. Individuals that usually rush past one another, barely acknowledging each others' existence on most days, stop and chat after a snow storm. Today I met several of our neighbors who at best I wave hello to during my busy schedule. One of them even put together an impromptu cookout in his driveway. It was rather odd standing around in the cold, with snow still falling, drinking, eating, and exchanging conversation with people I only had seen in passing.

Our dog also loves the snow. He seems happier when we take a walk through the snow (as if being happier during a walk is even possible for him). He was also suffering from cabin fever and it isn't really possible to indulge him with his requisite runs during these storms. The back up is a walk through the snow covered streets. Since there was little traffic and most people had not shoveled their sidewalks, we actually walk on the streets. The way I tire our dog is to send him running up the snow embankments on the side of the street. When he gets to the top, he sinks and then has to leap out of the piled snow. Repeating this activity as we walk down the street provides him with a good work out and me with comic entertainment. It is hilarious seeing him leap in and out of the snow. Fortunately, he is tired now.

But so am I. And I am very sore. I am out of shape and today's activities are a reminder.

A long hot bath is in store this evening. I only wish our tub were a little longer. It is hard curling my tall body into such a small place. It will be nice and relaxing nonetheless.

No comments: