Thursday, November 06, 2003

Quiet Please
Here comes a grievance. I am annoyed by loud and obnoxious aerobic instructors.

Today I had my yoga class. Most yoga classes end with the Savasana pose (deep relaxation) where you lie on your back and completely relax and meditate. It is a time to calm the mind and let go of any worries, thoughts or tension. When the mind wonders you come back to your breath. Being in a university athletic center, the room is not ideally quiet. Part of the exercise is tuning out that background noise.

Following our class, however, there is a step aerobics class. The instructor arrives just as we start our Savasana pose and starts fussing with the stereo equipment in the room. Then she leaves and stands by the door speaking, or should I say yelling, at some of her students in her annoying aerobics voice and tone. I am sure even the best trained yoga instructor would have a difficult time tuning her out. It is clear that we are in a relaxation pose, the room is dark and we are all sprawled on the floor. There is also ample time in between classes for her to prepare the music and set up for the class. My guess is she just does it to be annoying.

So what should be relaxing ends up being irritating.

Despite the annoying end, I still had a good session. I am definitely very tense.

I did finish my Santa Barbara application and I have to drop that in the mail today. I also am almost finished with a postdoc application. So all in all, there seems to be a good productivity vibe in the air around here. I hope it sticks around.

No comments: