Saturday, January 10, 2004

Brrr - Part II

It is still cold. Very cold. It is hard for me to believe that there is a 70 degree temperature differential between the air temperature inside the apartment and the outside. The glaciers that have developed on our windows over the past days are a constant reminder, though. I cannot look outside through the opaque ice-sheets. It also makes me think that it cannot be healthy going through such extreme temperature change. There should be something like decompression chambers but for temperatures so that your body is not shocked. Our dog does not understand this and he still wants to/needs to go outside. And so do I. I can only spend so much time stuck inside. Cabin-fever - I get it real bad.

Sara teases me. She says, "I thought you prefer the cold to heat. So there, it's cold." I do prefer the cold, but this is actually quite painful. I still will take this over the sticky, muggy days that make you wilt.

I know it can be worse. I have hears stories from people who have lived in Alaska, Northern Canada, Russia, and other such places. I even knew someone in college who worked at a scientific station in Antarctica. I think the funniest story was from someone who lived in Alaska who told me about having to clean up his dog's pee in the yard. Not the poop, the pee. You see, the dog pees and it freezes immediately. So soon there is a yellow conical pyramid in the yard. I am sure that it wasn't too far from the door to the house. I am sure there was also a human pee pyramid too since the house had an outhouse, rather than an internal toilet. I don't think I could live there.

The writing is progressing slowly, but at least it is progressing. My focus on those matters is why my postings have been rather lame as of late. They will probably continue to be so. Either that or they will become rather bizarre. Perhaps even fascinating, if witnessing someone moving into the realm of insanity is something that could tickle your fancy.

Speaking of crazy, I cannot believe that they are going to play a football game in this weather. Even crazier - there are people who are going to sit in the stadium and watch it.

Hmmm...the dog probably needs his walk soon. I better go and start the lengthy process of layering clothes for warmth. I should be ready in couple of hours.

No comments: