Friday, January 16, 2004

Stir-Crazy

I am not sure what will drive you more quickly into insanity, being stuck indoors for days on end or writing a dissertation.

Needless to say, we have all been going a little stir-crazy around here. The dog has not had a good outing for several days. Today I decided I would take him in the car and drive him around a little; maybe making several brief stops. We went to a patch of woods near the Blackstone River where he got to run a little. He definitely had excess energy. Unfortunately it was brutally cold, especially because of the wind. The river is completely frozen over, which is interesting to see. We also went to Slater's Mill in Pawtucket - birthplace of the American Industrial Revolution. I wanted to see the falls they have next to the mill. I was hoping they might be frozen. There were not, but there were some funky ice formations nonetheless. We were there only for a few minutes before the poor dog started limping. The ground was too cold for his paws. Back into the car and back home. Not a great outing, but better than nothing.

I got back to work on the ol' diss'. After a few hours, Sara poked her head into my office. She was a little stir-crazy and needed an outing as well. I should have kept on working, but I jumped at the opportunity to go out again. We did a little shopping. My big find was a funky two CD compilation of '80s music called "80's New Wave" (only $9.98). It has many songs I really like, including one I have had in my head recently: "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo (can you say one-hit-wonder?).

Armed with new tunes, I was able to get a few more pages out before my brain decided to quit on me. Time for a beer and an episode of Coupling. Bed bekons soon. Tomorrow needs to be a productive day. Although it is supposed to be warmer, so I believe a walk with the dog (and maybe Sara, if I can convince her to join us) is in order.

And as to my initial query, I think being stuck in doors will bring about insanity quicker, the dissertation is a slow and painful process, although with more certain results.

Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments: