Sunday, January 04, 2004

The March Continues

Today another job application goes in the mail. Another one is almost complete. I want to sit on this one a little and go over it a few more times because I would really like that position. It needs to be in by the 12th, so there is a little time.

I am almost ready to start writing the next chapter. I have been going through a ton of material. There is some good stuff. The challenge is figuring out how to string it together.

Last night we had a welcome break. We got a surprise call from Sara's best friend from high school who lives in Colorado. She was in New York with her husband visiting her sister. They all decided to come up to Providence and they wanted to know if we could meet them for dinner. We went to a restaurant on Federal Hill (the Italian neighborhood) that both Sara and I like a lot.

It was nice to see them, although after staring at a computer screen full of ethnographic data all day I was quite out of it. I probably came off as strange and anti-social. Sara's friend and husband both have Ph.D.s, though, so they probably know what it is like to be in the midst of a dissertation. The visit definitely lifted Sara's spirits, which makes me happy.

Well, then, it is almost time for lunch. Leftovers from last night are on the menu. Quick and easy. Then a trip to the post office and finally back to work. Sounds fun, doesn't it?



No comments: