Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Another one of those days...
I got up this morning determined to get this chapter completed by the end of the day. The morning was more or less productive and I cranked out a couple of pages. I decided to take a break around eleven. The plan was to take the dog for a run, do some errands, come back home, have lunch and then get back to writing. So I drove the dog to the field I take him to where he can run around. When we got back in the car, I turned the key to start the car and I heard the sound that has made many-a-heart sink. Whir, whir, whuuuur…click [Silence]. No, no, noooooo!!!

Yes, the car was dead. I waited a while and then I tried again. Same result, a couple of lazy turns in the engine and then nothing. Rats!

There goes the productive day!

Think, what’s the plan now? My mind goes into contingency planning mode. We’re about a mile from our apartment, so we need to walk back there first. Then I can call AAA and have them give me a jump and then walk back to the parking lot to wait for them.

The dog was extremely pleased because he got a bonus walk out the fiasco.

On the way home, I came up with plan B, which in the end was more attractive than plan A. Plan B: see if any of the neighbors are around and if they have jump-cables. Once I got home I called our trusty friend/neighbor/fellow-graduate student. She had no jumper cables, but I asked her if she could give me a ride to Pep Boys to buy some and then back to my car where I would bum a jump from her. Thankfully she was free and willing. Friend/neighbor/fellow student to the rescue!

After executing the plan, the jump worked and I got the car started. Should I take the car in or drive it around hoping the battery charges? Thinking that there was no real reason for the battery to be dead, it must mean a bad battery or a bad alternator. Back to Pep Boys (after my good experience with them a few weeks back, they have earned my future business) to have them check it.

While I had lunch, they figured out that the car needed a new battery and replaced it. While I had the car in, I asked them to change the oil as well – it was due and I was going to get it done after we got back from Puerto Rico. Something else crossed of the to do list.

Everything worked out. And while I usually would have been in a cranky mood because of all of this, today just seems to be one of those days when I see the positive. The car died close enough to home and in a parking lot. Our friend was home and able/willing to help out. Pep Boys once again were helpful and took the car right away (and did not charge me an arm and a leg for the work). During my lunch adventure while they were working on the car I discovered a neat little Vietnamese restaurant and an entertaining shop where they sell motor scooters and espresso (while I never saw that combination in Italy, it definitely brought back memories). The weather was delightful. And a few hours after the crisis began everything was back in working order, except for probably me. So a late Canadian thanksgiving for good fortune.

I am tired, but I am going to try to get some more writing done. Let’s see how much I get done.

No comments: