Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Post-Chapter Thank You's!
Now that Chapter 3 is out of my hair, I can think about tomorrow and PUERTO RICO!

[Salsa music fades in and Piña Coladas or other tropical drink of your choice with little umbrellas magically appear in your hands]

It will be a much needed break.

Before I go, I have two gifts for you to thank you for your support. One comes now, the other later tonight.

I know some of you have been hinting that you would like to know the topic of my dissertation. I don't really want to go into details now. Instead I will offer you the first few lines of the freshly baked chapter. This will give you a hint as to what it is I am writing. So here, happy reading:

Walking around Bergamo, or practically any other northern Italian city, on a Sunday afternoon, one would no doubt notice the impact immigration has had over the past ten years. The diversity of the people on the streets is striking. Senegalese men sell merchandise on the sidewalks or wander the streets selling trinkets out of small cardboard boxes that hang from their shoulders. Filipino women congregate in the main square to enjoy their day off from their jobs at the hotel. A group of Moroccan men sit at a café and watch the Italians on their Sunday stroll. Bolivian families meander from shop window to shop window taking in the latest fashion. The mark of immigration to Italy is more than the new faces that one sees in the cities: you can also see it the city’s landscape.

Check in later for gift number 2!


No comments: