Friday, October 10, 2003

Back in the days of my old template, I started a 100 Things About Me list. I never aired the final episode, though. The time for that has come.

I do want to explain that I chose to do the list in episodes not because I could not think of things, but rather because I wanted people to read each one. When I read other people's, after about 20 or so, my eyes glaze over and I lose interest and I just skim through them. I also noticed that when I posted them in groups of ten or more, comments usually focused on the last or next to last point.

That said, I know there are many new visitors who probably don't want to or don't have the time to go through the archives to dig up the things about me that I already posted. The rest of you have probably forgotten them and probably need a refresher. I also don't have time to make it an item on my sidebar (which I will do sometime in the future). So before I post the Final Episode of 100 Things About Me, I will rerun all the episodes leading to the final one in one marathon special episode even if it means risking losing some of you to sleep, distraction, or even alien abduction. Here we go:

100 Things About Me (Recap Special Episode):

1. I am a dual national.

2. I was the longest baby ever born at that hospital (I am sure that record has been broken by now though).

3. My wife is my best friend.

4. I love dogs, all dogs (ok, really mean ones I may not like, but it is probably not their fault that they are mean).

5. I probably daydream too much.

6. Cats are ok.

7. My first swimming lesson was when I was 11 months old.

8. I still love getting a handwritten letter, even if they are almost non-existent nowadays.

9. I rarely write letters anymore- damned technology.

10. The farthest North I have been is Reykjavik, Iceland.

11. The farthest South I have been has been somewhere on Java, Indonesia.

12. My inability to properly use commas drives my wife crazy.

13. I envy my sister’s adventurousness: she has biked from San Francisco to LA, studied in Africa, rock climbs, and gone skydiving.

14. My left foot is half a size bigger than my right foot.

15. People who drive and talk on their cellular phones drive me crazy – pull over.

16. I am 6’5”.

17. However, I am not very good at basketball.

18. But I am a decent volleyball player.

19. My weight fluctuates between 210 to 220 pounds.

20. Keith Jarrett is my favorite pianist.

21. Growing up my favorite super hero was the Incredible Hulk.

22. I prefer the West Coast to the East Coast for many reasons, but number one is that nothing beats a sunset on the beach.

23. I hate the way Microsoft Word tries to format everything you type.

24. I despise the little MS Word paperclip helper.

25. I hate eating soup or cereal with a teaspoon.

26. I speak seven languages, three of them fluently (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, Swedish, and English).

Stretch Break

27. I am allergic (technically it is an intolerance) to onions.

28. Having attended a British school growing up, I still put a “u” in color, favor, and neighbor. I still find myself using quite instead of really and perhaps instead of maybe.

29. I almost knocked Newt Gingrich down a flight of stairs in the US Capitol Building.

30. I sing, whistle, and hum in the shower. I am very bad.

31. Even though I don’t get them very often, I love getting flowers.

32. I used to collect sand from different beaches (and other sandy spots too). I should start that collection up again.

33. I have been to 26 countries on three continents.

34. I love to cook.

35. I love to eat more than I love to cook.

36. Cold, gray, rainy days depress me.

37. I have no tattoos. Never wanted one.

38. No body piercings either. Never wanted them either.

39. I love watching soccer, especially the World Cup. I used to love playing as well, but I am too out of shape now.

40. Not having found organized religion inspiring; I have constructed my own theology and spirituality.

41. I do occasionally attend the Unitarian-Universalist Church, and I probably would call myself one.

42. I love to cuddle, snuggle, and just be close to my wife.

43. Until I was 13, the only music I listened to was classical and jazz.

44. I want to live by the ocean or by some mountains. Best-case scenario: by some mountains that are by the ocean.

45. Despite the Latin rhythm that burns inside of me I can’t dance for the life of me.

46. Crossing the International Date Line really screws me up. Worse jet lag I ever had was coming back from Hong Kong.

47. I used to be a Republican. I am not one any more and I haven’t been one for a while.

48. I have never been a Democrat, but I usually vote for them.

49. I have been to Carnival in Venice. I am glad I went, but I never want to go again.

50. If I never make it to Mardi Gras in New Orleans before I die, I won’t be disappointed. I don't particularly like drunken pandemonium and debauchery.

51. I love listening to 80s music, even the songs I hated back then.

52. When I was in high school I wanted to be an oceanographer.

53. When I was five I wanted to be an airline pilot.

54. I still would like to learn how to fly.

COFFEE or other Caffeinated Beverage Break Have something, it is on the house.

55. I have driven cross-country five times, once by myself.

56. Comedies are my favorite movie genre, although I do enjoy a good drama as well. I don’t like horror films. Suspenseful films keep me up at night, but I will watch them.

57. I have never really forgiven my father for walking out on our family. Or cheating on us for that matter. I probably won’t be able to until he shows some sign of remorse.

58. I never wore braces.

59. Electrical storms fascinate me. I can watch them for hours.

60. I used to give blood. Now they won't take it because I lived in Europe too long and they are afraid of Mad Cow disease.

61. I recently took a sailing course and I loved it.

62. I lived in Mexico until I was fifteen.

63. I can be incredibly stubborn.

64. Usually I am easy going.

65. I fractured my skull in two places when I was three after falling head-first off a six-foot wall onto concrete.

66. I have been to 36 states (and DC) in the US and 28 (and the Federal District) in Mexico (Bonus points to the person who can tell me how many states there are in Mexico - the official name is after all the United Mexican States).

67. I went swimming in the Baltic Sea – it was very cold.

68. I almost knocked down former Italian Prime Minister and current EU President Romano Prodi on a street in Bologna (that’s my thing – I almost knock down famous people).

69. I love downhill skiing, but it is too expensive.

71. In love, I have hurt others, but usually I was the one who got hurt (fortunately this is no longer an issue).

72. I have never hunted.

73. I love the meditative state I go into when I am swimming.

74. Math and the natural sciences come naturally to me, but I find them terribly boring. I am more drawn to the social sciences.

75. I can’t stand the taste of gin.

76. I would like to relive my childhood except that it would mean that I would have to go through adolescence again.

77. I enjoy watching people.

78. I have eaten insects on my own free will – I did not like them.

85. I practice tai chi and yoga.

86. I once coached a youth soccer team (ages 5-8) where by chance every child had some form of disability. We still made the playoffs.

87. I have tremendous respect and admiration for my mother.

Hang in there you are almost done!!!

88. I used to stay up all night just to see the sunrise.

89. Now I find it hard to stay awake past 1 am.

90. I want to learn how to scuba dive.

91. I have crossed the Equator on a ship.

92. I am shy.

93. Blue is my favorite color.


Whew!!! Stay tuned for the Season Finale...Coming soon!



No comments: