Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Samuel Huntington's essay "The Hispanic Challenge" in Foreign Policy has gotten much attention both in cyberspace and in academia (you may recall that SH garnered much attention after September 11 because people began to wave his book "The Clash of Civilizations" around saying the "West" and "Islam" were on a collision course).

While I think the article is a piece of alarmist trash, it is important because there so many people in this country who think that way. I don't want to go into a discussion of it here. I just want to share the best summary of it that I have found.

It is from Julio Sueco: "Noticed how nightmare scenarios were drawn about the clash of civilizations, of unassimilated Mexicans running amok resisting sauerkraut at all costs?"

Yes, Julio, I did notice. And thanks for the laugh.

[By the way, I must admit that I am Mexican and I eat sauerkraut - I must be assimilated. Oh no!]

No comments: