Monday, March 01, 2004

Weekend

I spent most of the weekend writing syllabi for the university position for which I am being considered. In some ways it can be fun, but it is also draining. Doing more than one is truly exhausting. I am on number four today. This will be the last since they need to be sent today.

My office is a mess. Books and papers everywhere, blanketing the floor and my desk. Finding the right book or artile for each class is quite difficult.

As I worked, I turned on the television and paid vague attention to the Oscars.

Not one surprise. Or perhaps the fact that Lord of the Rings won everything it was nominated for could be considered a surprise. Everything else went as expected. I like it when the person no one has ever heard of wins.

A few other thoughts:

- Kudos to Tim Robbins who upon winning ended his speech with a social message, yet not the tired anti-war/anti-Bush one, but one against abuse.
- When will we see an Oscar go to an ugly actress playing a beautiful, glamorous woman, rather than a pretty face who uglies herself up?
- Not that I find those actresses pretty. I still fail to understand why society considers amaciated women who serve their fake breasts on a platter (most of those dresses last night did just that) attractive.
- Will the best actor Oscar ever go to someone not playing a character with a tormented soul or physical handicap?
- Does anyone care who wins the sound editing Oscar other than those receiving it?
- I need to get the soundtrack to "The Triplets of Belleville."

Ok, back to work on this last syllabi.

No comments: