Friday, August 15, 2003

Blackout

Even before the Great Blackout of the Northeast, I have always thought how dependent we are on electricity. Without it our lives more or less stop, as many people have discovered over the past 24 hours. I appreciate the conveniences electricity brings - especially over the past couple of weeks when a/c has been my best friend in the battle against the heat and humidity. But is it really a good thing to be dependent on one energy source?

I think it illustrates our vulnerability.

On the other hand, I think the blackout also shows our resourcefulness and camaraderie.

I am amazed that violence and looting have not descended upon the darkened areas. I have seen examples of people helping each other, which makes me think that we live in a pretty decent society. I do think that the good will would begin to deteriorate should these conditions persist.

To put things in perspective, we (not me, actually, power did not go out in Rhode Island) have had to endure a day or so without electricity. Some people in Iraq have had to go months. I don't really want to go into the politics of the matter, but it is just a comparison to think about.

For once last night, I was consciously thankful that when I flipped the switch, something actually happened.

+++++++++++++++++

100 Things About Me (Episode 4: #s 8-15):

8. I still love getting a handwritten letter, even if they are almost non-existent nowadays.

9. I rarely write letters anymore- damned technology.

10. The farthest North I have been is Reykjavik, Iceland.

11. The farthest South I have been has been somewhere on Java, Indonesia.

12. My inability to properly use commas drives my wife crazy.

13. I envy my sister’s adventurousness: she has biked from San Francisco to LA, studied in Africa, rock climbs, and gone skydiving.

14. My left foot is half a size bigger than my right foot.

15. People who drive and talk on their cellular phones drive me crazy – pull over.

No comments: