Sunday, August 24, 2003

EU Standardization

Many Europeans lament the standardization of products and rules that has come about through EU regulation. They see the end it as the end to tradition and to the quirkiness and individuality of the different cultures that exist. While I may agree that this may be the case most of the time, when it comes to European toilets, standardization will be a very positive thing. Traveling around Europe I have always been amazed at the different designs they have over there for toilets. While at times it was fun to run into the bathroom in a new country to see how the design differed, the actual practicality of some leaves much to be desired. In fact, some of their toilet designs have to go. What some have termed the German toilet [Link via Volume 22] has to be the worst design ever (Note: I cracked up laughing when I read the article because it is SO true). I am not sure if German is the right name for them because there was one in an apartment I rented in Italy, and I have had the misfortune to have them in my hotel room throughout Europe. Whatever they are called, the things are awful (read the link to find out why) and the EU would do well to make them illegal.

Forgive the crudeness of this post, but having seen that I am not alone in my observations, I had to share my thoughts.

No comments: