Sunday, August 17, 2003

Illegal Alien Weekend Update

- The illegal Guatemalan man who is to be deported after testifying in a murder trial has gotten a little break. A Federal District Court judge in Boston issued a stay of deportation on Friday until a court hearing on August 26. Immigrant groups and the Guatemalan Consulate have been making a lot of noise, so perhaps that helped.

- A man who lives in Kingston, Rhode Island who immigrated to the US illegally 20 years ago from Syria has received a deportation notice. He was to leave the country by Friday, but he said he would not go willfully. The deportation notice came even though he owns a successful pizzeria, has a family here who are US citizens, and is an active member of the Southern Rhode Island community. He initially fled Syria because he opposed the government there and it is likely that he will be arrested (or worse) if he returns to his home country. He is going to fight the deportation order in the courts.

Why are we harassing people who are helping our communities?

+++++++++++++

Rhode Island Tip of the Day:

If you are pulled over by the police in Rhode Island at night, the law states that you must turn your interior lights on. The police will seldom ticket you for failing to follow this law, but they will if they are cranky or if you argue (it is at their discretion) with them.

Tip brought to you by the show “Caught in Providence” shown on ABC 6, weekdays at 10AM and Saturdays at 7:30PM (also on public access in the Providence area at random times).

=============

100 Things About Me (Episode 5: #s 16-31):

16. I am 6’5”.

17. However, I am not very good at basketball.

18. But I am a decent volleyball player.

19. My weight fluctuates between 210 to 220 pounds.

20. Keith Jarrett is my favorite pianist.

21. Growing up my favorite super hero was the Incredible Hulk.

22. I prefer the West Coast to the East Coast for many reasons, but number one is that nothing beats a sunset on the beach.

23. I hate the way Microsoft Word tries to format everything you type.

24. I despise the little MS Word paperclip helper.

25. I hate eating soup or cereal with a teaspoon.

26. I speak seven languages, three of them fluently (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, Swedish, and English).

27. I am allergic (technically it is an intolerance) to onions.

28. Having attended a British school growing up, I still put a “u” in color, favor, and neighbor. I still find myself using quite instead of really and perhaps instead of maybe.

29. I almost knocked Newt Gingrich down a flight of stairs in the US Capitol Building.

30. I sing, whistle, and hum in the shower. I am very bad.

31. Even though I don’t get them very often, I love getting flowers.


No comments: