Monday, August 18, 2003

ICELAND

Commenting on #10 on the 100 things about me list, Mala mentioned that she always has wanted to go to Iceland.

Iceland was really cool (actually it was pretty cold when I was there in the beginning of May). It was really expensive too. It did not help that I stopped on my way back from a month in Italy where I had spent way too much.
I stayed in a hostel run by the Salvation Army (it was quite nice). The only cheap thing was coffee, so I sat in a cafe, getting extremely wired, writing postcards to all my friends.

The lanscape there is amazing, it almost feels other-worldly. There are numerous volcanoes that dot the landscape and the countryside is made up of lava flows. The ocean is a deep indigo that make the vistas all the more dramatic. I would have loved to have toured the country more, seeing the nature, but my budget did not allow me (see above). I would like to go back sometime.

The people in Reykjavik were very friendly and helpful. You notice the pride they take in their country and their resourcefulness. It is difficult living in such an isolated place and in such harsh conditions.

I was expecting to be able to understand some of the language because I speak a little Swedish (and I can understand Danish and Norwegian because the languages are quite similar). Icelandic, however, must have branched off much earlier and thus is quite different. Reading it I can see the similarities, but I really could not understand it when I was there. Everyone spoke English, though, so it was not a problem.

On a negative note, I read recently that Iceland just sent out a fleet of whaling ships to hunt Minke whales. This saddens me. Whales are such magnificent creatures and are on the verge of extinction that it puzzles me why they must be hunted.

I do recommend visiting Iceland - it is unlike any other place I have been.

+++++++++++

No 100 things about me today....check in tomorrow.

No comments: