Sunday, September 07, 2003

Department Cookout:
Friday evening's event was actually quite nice. It was nice seeing everyone again and meeting some of the new arrivals. The food was actually quite good, an eclectic mix of Cuban, Indian, and Southeast Asian dishes, mostly vegetarian. It was an appealing change from the usual burger fare found at these events. Unfortunately that was not the only buffet there. All of the people present offered a quite delicious smorgasbord for the ubiquitous mosquitoes. We were bit often and even through our clothing. It has made for an itchy and unpleasant weekend. I will refrain from further mosquito laments at this point.

Squirrels:
Mosquitoes are not my only bane. Over the past year we have made battle with squirrels on numerous occasions. They invaded our attic, they taunt our dog through the window, and there used to be a mangy, gimpy, evil one that lived in our garbage can behind our house. We named that one "Pet Cemetery Squirrel." Haven't seen him around lately, though. I used to think they were cute, but now I realize that they are just rats with bushy tails. And I am not the only one who thinks they are evil, nutty, and ratty. We seemed free from them for a while, but I suspect they are making another run at our attic and they are definitely taunting our dog from the tree branches that abut our windows. I am tempted to buy a SuperSoaker™ water gun and blast them off the branches. So much for my peaceful nature. If only our dog could climb trees, they would be in serious trouble.

Quick Immigration Updates:
Things do not look good for my Guatemalan and Syrian *friends*. The Syrian gentleman was arrested last week and it looks like he might get deported to Syria (where he faces retribution) soon. The Guatemalan, also imprisoned, might not be able to make his appeal. Again, these are people that helped our communities. May I ask where Kenneth Lay (AKA Mr. Enron) is? Something is wrong here.

Productivity Zero:
Progress on my chapter is stalled. That needs to change today!

Sports:
Go Andy Rodick! I like the way he plays. I hope he finally wins a big event today.

The Red Sox are making a run at the Yankees. Go Sox! I am not a big baseball fan, but I hate the Yankees!

European Cup qualifiers in soccer are underway. Not that most people in this country care.

After today we will have the Pats to talk about. They play Buffalo today.

==========

My dissertation is calling. So is the dog. I need to be productive today, but the weather is fabulous and a walk with the dog along the Providence River is also in order. Ok now, where are my priorities? Hmmm….

No comments: